Wednesday, March 14, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten

Oh, I was excited but mostly sad about Hana's first day of kindergarten! The countdown until the days until school started was in my mind all summer. I took her to shop for her 'first day of school' outfit and this is what she picked out. A girl who loves Hello Kitty is a girl after my own heart! I'm smiling but really want to cry! Can't believe my little baby girl is off to school.

We walked in to the classroom and were handed a list of items to find with Hana such as her cubby, the bathroom, her assigned seat, etc...I held my tears until I walked out of the door. The first day of school was hard on me but the second day so much worse. I was bawling my eyes out after dropping her off and long after I drove away from school, I had to call Kevin at work telling him that I just couldn't do this!

The evening of the first day of school, Kevin and the girls were playing rough in their bedroom. I think they were pillow-fighting or something but all I heard was a huge 'thunk'. Turns out, Hana had smacked her head against the corner of her toybox and ended up with this huge welt. So, she went to her second day of school (and a few more after that) with a crazy black eye....

I am thankful for the close-knit community we live in and so thankful to know so many families with children the same age. Turns out, the 2nd day of school was not just hard on me but on other moms from Hana's playgroup as well. We got in contact and decided to meet after drop-off on Friday. There were about ten of us that gathered together to share our tears, experiences and emotions about our babies starting school. That was such a special time that I will never forget!

No comments: