Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Durian Fruit

Kevin and I were watching 'Bizarre Foods' on the Travel Network last night and it featured a segment on the durian fruit.
"Widely known and revered in Southeast Asia as the "King of Fruits,"[1] the fruit is distinctive for its large size, unique odour, and a formidable thorn-covered husk. "
The show depicted it as a very stinky fruit which is very popular in Southeast Asia yet very expensive and hard to find in the US. I was very curious about this fruit and mentioned to Kevin how I'd love to try it. Imagine my surprise when I saw one sitting on my mother's counter this morning! It turns out that one of my dad's coworkers had given one to him yesterday-what a coincidence! They brought it to our house and we all tried it. Kevin wasn't very fond of it but I thought it was unique yet good. It had a custard-like, fruity taste with a touch of onion? curry? garlic? I couldn't detect the exact flavor. Kevin insisted that we put it on the porch because it was grossing him out. Hana had a taste and absolutely loved it. She kept putting her spoon to the fruit to get more. I am proud of my daughter's palate. She is definitely not a picky eater :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!

Anonymous said...

man, that is great!! I think Owen and Hana should get together and eat...he can bring the red chard if Hana brings the durian fruit. I love these kids! Jenn