Hana has never shown much interest in TV or movies and we were so proud! She would get excited during the first 5 minutes of Veggie Tales but that was about it, until this past month. Below is a picture of Hana engaging in her now favorite activity-watching Happy Feet. We have shown her other movies but she has not been interested in those at all. Kevin bought Happy Feet for her birthday and it sat on the shelf for a few months. I can't remember how it happened but Hana became obsessed with this movie and wants to watch it ALL the time.
It just so happened that our DVD player broke after a couple of Happy Feet viewings. We haven't replaced it yet and opted to play Happy Feet on my laptop instead. This means that Hana now associates my laptop with Happy Feet and knows that she can watch her fave movie at any location in the house. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of watching Happy Feet (several times a day!), the main character's name is Mumble, which Hana pronounces "Muh-yo". Every time she sees the computer, she yells "Muh-yo" and throws a fit until we play it. I feel guilty about letting her watch it so much but we try to limit her to 20 minutes a day. One plus about the Mumble obsession is that Hana will sit still and cuddle in our laps while the DVD is playing, which she rarely does otherwise.
We used to trick her by starting the movie towards the end but she has caught on and gets upset if we don't start it towards the beginning. She has memorized every chapter of the movie and we know exactly how she'll react to every scene. Kevin and I find ourselves quoting Happy Feet all the time. One of the songs from the movie came on the radio while I was at work and it totally weirded me out. I immediately called Kevin because only he could understand! But when I told him I heard Gloria's (Mumble's love interest) song on the radio he replies "I can't even think of what the song is and am so glad!" Lucky him! We do not dislike Happy Feet but we are tired of watching it and we want Hana to stop her obsession!
It just so happened that our DVD player broke after a couple of Happy Feet viewings. We haven't replaced it yet and opted to play Happy Feet on my laptop instead. This means that Hana now associates my laptop with Happy Feet and knows that she can watch her fave movie at any location in the house. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of watching Happy Feet (several times a day!), the main character's name is Mumble, which Hana pronounces "Muh-yo". Every time she sees the computer, she yells "Muh-yo" and throws a fit until we play it. I feel guilty about letting her watch it so much but we try to limit her to 20 minutes a day. One plus about the Mumble obsession is that Hana will sit still and cuddle in our laps while the DVD is playing, which she rarely does otherwise.
We used to trick her by starting the movie towards the end but she has caught on and gets upset if we don't start it towards the beginning. She has memorized every chapter of the movie and we know exactly how she'll react to every scene. Kevin and I find ourselves quoting Happy Feet all the time. One of the songs from the movie came on the radio while I was at work and it totally weirded me out. I immediately called Kevin because only he could understand! But when I told him I heard Gloria's (Mumble's love interest) song on the radio he replies "I can't even think of what the song is and am so glad!" Lucky him! We do not dislike Happy Feet but we are tired of watching it and we want Hana to stop her obsession!How do get Hana to forget about Muh-Yo?!!
My birthday was yesterday and I asked Hana to get me the Surf's Up DVD, which we then learned is not released until Oct. 9th. We assume it's far too late in Hana's penguin obsession for her to go cold turkey but if only we can get her interested in a different penguin movie, then Kevin & I are spared the monotony of 'Muh-Yo' Happy Feet. We've never seen Surf's Up but penguins in Hawaii definitely seem more entertaining than penguins in Antarctica-I hope Hana sees it the same way!!
My birthday was yesterday and I asked Hana to get me the Surf's Up DVD, which we then learned is not released until Oct. 9th. We assume it's far too late in Hana's penguin obsession for her to go cold turkey but if only we can get her interested in a different penguin movie, then Kevin & I are spared the monotony of 'Muh-Yo' Happy Feet. We've never seen Surf's Up but penguins in Hawaii definitely seem more entertaining than penguins in Antarctica-I hope Hana sees it the same way!!


2 comments:
oooh, i love Happy Feet! you must have the entire thing memorized by now too. Good luck with Surf's Up!! Let me know how it is.
Jen, happy birthday!!!
Owen has been watching Goodnight Gorilla at 5ish a.m. so his parents can have some sanity. I understand the video...20 minutes is no big deal! ;-)
Jenn
p.s. we have a song named Bananaphone in our heads in the Wong house. I now *hate* the song!!!
Post a Comment